Carmel OWI Defense Lawyers
Experienced Protection Against DUI/OWI Charges. Free Consultation!
Hamilton County has one of the highest fatal DUI accident rates in the state. As a result, local law enforcement is vigilant about punishing drunk drivers and keeping our community’s roads safe. OWI charges have the potential to land you in jail, saddle you with harsh fines and tarnish your reputation. The consequences of these charges can affect your driving privileges, job, and everyday freedoms.
To seek to avoid these devastating punishments, you need to put a skilled OWI lawyer on your side.
At Blankenship Law, LLC, our trusted Carmel OWI/DUI defense attorneys can work to protect your freedoms and good social standing. When you hire us to represent you, we will take the time to listen to your story, form a personal relationship with you and guide you through your legal options. Our mission is not only to defend your rights but to build a trusting relationship with you. These two elements can strengthen your case in immeasurable ways because the more we get to know you, the more information we can use to champion your freedom
If your livelihood is on the line due to an OWI/DUI charge, make an appointment online or by calling (317) 680-5528 to discuss your options today. We are available 24/7 and offer a free initial consultation!
OWI Laws in Indiana
Operating while intoxicated (OWI) is illegal. Many people say “DUI,” which stands for driving under the influence, but the state of Indiana coins this offense “OWI.”
To legally operate a vehicle in Indiana, your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) must be .08% or below if you’re 21 or older. If you’re under 21 years of age, the legal BAC limit is lower, .02%, because it’s not legal for you to drink.
You may face the following consequences if you’re caught driving with an illegal BAC:
- Class C misdemeanor: Your BAC was at least 0.08 but less than .15. If convicted, you may face up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.
- Class A misdemeanor: Your BAC was .15 or more. This crime carries a penalty of up to 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.
- Level 6 felony: You have a previous OWI conviction, or you’re at least 21 and committed an OWI in the presence of a passenger less than 18 years old. If convicted, you may suffer 2.5 years in jail and up to $10,000 fines.
- Level 5 felony: You have a previous conviction for an OWI causing death or catastrophic injury. This offense is punishable by a maximum of 8 years in prison and up to $10,000 fines.
- Level 4 felony: Your BAC was at least .08 and your offense caused death or catastrophic injury. This is punishable by up to 12 years in prison and $10,000 fines.
Defenses to OWI Charges
Getting pulled over causes overwhelming anxiety for many drivers. It doesn’t help when police officers aren’t friendly when they suspect someone of OWI. Surprisingly, the breath test equipment they use to measure your BAC is often defective and inaccurate, leading to false test results.
These are some of the many reasons you need our diligent OWI defense to expose flaws in the investigation against you and advocate in your favor.
Depending on the specific details of your alleged incident, we can use the following defense strategies:
- Illegal stop; lack of probable cause
- Broken/defective testing equipment
- Underlying medical conditions
- Improper field sobriety test/breath test administration
- Not in actual physical control of the vehicle
Protect Your Driving Privileges at All Costs. Call (317) 680-5528 Now!
The consequences of an OWI conviction extend beyond jail and fines. You could lose your license, meaning you won’t be able to go to work or school, drive your children or go just about anywhere unless you use public transportation or ridesharing, both of which cost money.
We understand what’s at stake in an OWI case and go above and beyond to work toward reducing or dismissing our clients’ penalties so they can move forward with their lives. Thus, you can depend on us to guide you through your case and leverage Attorney Eric Blankenship’s former prosecutorial experience to work in your favor.
We also help clients tackle alcohol and drug-related accusations, such as:
- Public intoxication and disorderly conduct
- Minor in possession and minor in consumption
- Open container violations